Various Models of Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem
Various models of DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem in the market, multiple channel bonding both download and upstream.
Why DOCSIS 3 Cable
Originally the DOCSIS 2.0 didn’t support IPv6 and the speeds were limited, for that’s why it came for a decision to revise this original version of DOCSIS 2.0 to enhance the upstream transmission speed to support the IP telephony. It is therefore DOCSIS 3.0 was released in August 2006 to support IPv6 and also the speeds both upstream and downstream were increased significantly. Unlike DSL modems that deliver limited speed, the Cable modems can deliver up to 300Mbps (some models).
Frequency allocation band plans between US and European CATV systems are different. It is therefore the DOCSIS standards have been modified for European usage with different name – the EuroDOCSIS. However, even though both are different all the major Cable providers are designed to comply with both of those DOCSIS standards.
Not all Cable providers are upgraded to DOCSIS 3 cable infrastructure, however it doesn’t mean that if your cable provider is still using DOCSIS 2.0 infrastructure your DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem doesn’t support the infrastructure. Yes it does support since DOCSIS 3.0 is backward compatible with DOCSIS 2.0 or DOCSIS 1.0 infrastructure.
The following are some of the Cable modems which are designed with the DOCSIS 3 technology and also backward compatible with the previous DOCSIS version.
ARRIS SurfBoard SB6121
No more Motorola modems, it is now under ARRIS umbrella. So far people are still using Motorola brand for cable instead of ARRIS since Motorola brand is still bound to the users mind for years so it takes more years of time to lift the Motorola brand out of users mind and replaced with ARRIS. Surfboard SB6121 is one of the most successful DOCSIS 3 cable modem products in the market, and it becomes the best seller #1 in Amazon in modem category.
- Based on DOCSIS 3 cable standard
- It complies with all major cable providers including Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, Charter, Time Warner, Mediacom, Bright House
- High speeds cable modem – download speed up to 172Mbps and upload speeds of up to 131Mps depends on your cable provider
- Connecting to high speed wireless routers, it is Ideal for online gaming and video streaming
- Channel bonding of up to 4 downstream and 4 upstream channels
- Gigabit Ethernet port, ideal for Gigabit wireless routers such as Asus AC87U for optimum data throughput
This DOCSIS 3 cable modem is very popular and no wonder it becomes best seller #1 in Amazon with modem category. The average customer rating is also excellent, 4.5 out of 5 stars.
The price is around $70 in Amazon, click here for current price and manufacturer SB6121 spec details.
ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141
The newer model for Surfboard DOCSIS 3 cable modem is SB6141. The design is almost the same – a white box with tower form factor. It is compatible with Windows, Mac and Unix computers and is off course DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem.
- DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem
- High speed with channel bonding up to 8 channels for downstream (up to 300Mbps) and up to 4 channel for upstream (up to 100Mbps).
- Security is enhanced with AES encryption support
- Ideal for HD video streaming and online gaming
- Gigabit Ethernet port ideal for connecting to Gigabit wireless routers including high speed wireless AC2400 routers such as Netgear Nighthawk X4.
If you compare this SB6141 with SB6121 the main difference is the downstream speed up to eight channel bonding twice the downstream speed of SB6121. And still more enhancement features you can find withthis DOCSIS 3 modem. The price is only 20$ higher than the SB6121 modem, it’s around $89. This modem is also very successful and becomes best seller #2 under SB6121 in Amazon with the average customer rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Netgear CM500 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Probably Netgear doesn’t want to just focus on wireless router flagships, it also needs to share the slice of DOCSIS 3 cable modem in the market. Netgear CM500 cable modem is one of the latest cable modem products that attracts the attention of Cable subscribers to purchase. Positive reviews from the online retail shops like Amazon makes this modem well known and becomes so popular with its good performance. With the high speed download stream of up to 680Mbps makes this modem one of fastest DOCSIS 3 modem in the market competing the well known Surfboard SB6183 which both of them delivers up to 16 channel bonding downstream.
- It is DOCSIS 3.0 cable certified
- Downstream speed up to 16 channel bonding delivers speeds of up to 680Mbps and up to 4 channel bonding upstream delivers speeds of up to 132Mbps
- Fast self-activation Comcast for XFINITY customers
- Compatible with all major Cable providers
- Gigabit Ethernet port for optimum connecting to Gigabit wireless routers
This DOCSIS 3 cable modem will ready for future higher speed of DOCSIS 3.0 infrastructure of the cable providers up to 680Mbps downstream, ideal for streaming 4K video and online gaming. Currently the price is around $96 in Amzon retail.
Click here for Netgear CM500 spec details and current price in Amazon.
After the success of Surfboard SB6141, Arris offers faster modem, much faster than the previous one – the Surfboard SB6183. It is a DOCSIS 3 cable modem with downstream twoce faster than Surfboard SB6141. The design is the same, or similar with 6141.
This modem is now competing with Netgear CM500 which has the same 16x channel bonding downstream as SB6183. However Surfboard has the big name in cable modem, so that’s why the rating is excellent so far.
- High speeds of DOCSIS 3 cable modem
- 16x Channel bonding downstream and 4x channel bonding
- Gigabit Ethernet port
- Comes with MoCA reject filter
This new modem is ideal in upgrading your current SB6141 modem for faster downstream or upgrading faster internet plan.
Netgear doesn’t want to be number 2, not so long it comes with the new flagship of DOCSIS 3 cable modem with speeds of up to 960Mbps much faster than the previous model CM500. If you compare the CM500 that delivers speeds of up to 600Mbps with Surfboard SB6183, both CM500 and 6183 have the same downstream speeds of up to 600Mbps. So that’s why Netgear wants to be the first by introducing CM600 with 24 channel bonding.
- DOCSIS 3 with 24 channel bonding downstream and 8 channe; bonding upstream
speeds of up to 960Mbps
- Fast self-activation for XFINITY customers, no phone call
- One Gigabit Ethernet port
- Advanced QoS
- 8MB flash memory and 128Mb RAM
This cable modem is getting more popular today, and the price so far is around $130 in Amazon.
6. Surfboard SB6190
This could be the fastest DOCSIS 3 cable modem to day, the Surfboard SB6190. The new flagship introduced by Arris that will soon become most popular modem with gigabit speed, never been a modem like this before.
Surfboard SB6190 will beat Netgear CM600 that comes with 24x channel bonding, but this SB6190 comes with 32x channel bonding.
- Fastest DOCSIS 3 cable modem
- Speeds of up to 1.4Gbps
- 24x channel bonding downstream and 8 channel bonding upstream
- Compatible with all major cable providers
The question is, is there any cable provider that delivers sppeds up to one gigabit to cutomer premises? Technology changes very fast, who knows.
Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8×4 Cable Modem
Cisco is very popular with business routers and is sure it doesn’t want to lose its slice of share pie in cable modems. Various models of DOCSIS 3 cable modem Cisco offers and one of them is DPC3010. Unlike with Arris Surfboard series with tower form factor, this Cisco modem is designed lying on the table, takes more space than Surfboard series do.
- DOCSIS 3.0 cable certified
- High speed with 8 channel bonding upstream up to 343Mbps and up to 4 channel bonding up to 120Mbps upstream.
- Compatible with major cable providers
- Nice front panel LEDs indicator to help you troubleshoot the connection issues
- Gigabit Ethernet port, ideal for streaming HD video and online gaming and is optimal in connecting to Gigabit wireless routers
The performance is good so far and is excellent in receiving average customer rating with 4.3 out of 5 star ratings. The price is cheaper than its competing models Surfboard series, it cost around $65 in Amazon.
Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J
Unlike the other above cable modems, the model of this product is more simple than the others. It is a flat box you can place it lying on the table, it takes more space than Surfboard Cable modems. On front you can find five LED indicators of Power, DS, US, Online and Link. While on rear you can find Gigabit Ethernet port, coaxial port, power connector and On-Off button.
- It is DOCSIS 3.0 cable certified
- High speed up to 8 channel bonding upstream with the bandwidth up to 343Mbps and up to 4 channel bonding upstream with bandwidth up to 143Mbps.
- Compatible with all major Cable providers in US, and is also backward compatible with DOCSIS 2.0
- Gigabit Ethernet port, ideal in connecting with other high performance gigabit wireless router such as new D-link DIR-898L
The average customer rating is excellent almost as high as Surfboard SB6121 that is 4.5 out of 5 stars. And the price in Amazon is also the same, around $69.
Table 1 DOCSIS 3 Comparison
The following table shows you number of channel bonding bonding comparison for various models of DOCSIS 3 cable modem, the more number of channel bonding the wider bandwidth can be provided – thus faster modem.
|#channel bonding Downstream||#channel bonding Upstream|