Top 5 Wireless AC1200 Routers
For a medium size homes, investing a $200 for a wireless AC2400 router (such as Nighthawk X4, Linksys 8350 and Asus AC87U) to build a high speed wifi network is costly if it is just to support two laptops, a desktop and some Android and iOS mobile devices. For this need, investing around $100 for a wireless AC1200 router is adequate considering not many high intensive bandwidth applications running all the time such as streaming HD or Super HD video and online gaming.
Wireless AC1200 Routers
Various models of wireless AC1200 router available in the market you can purchase. With this wireless AC1200 network segment technology, the router can deliver total bandwidth of up to 1200Mbps, dual band simultaneous @5Ghz and 2.4Ghz band. It is adequate for sharing the bandwidth with your networking devices including couple of laptops, couple of desktops and iOS or Android mobile devices.
The following paragraphs are list of most popular wireless AC1200 routers in the market.
Medialink MLWR AC1200
In its debut, Mediabridge offered wireless N150 router which was very successful in the market which was sitting in the first rank of wireless N routers in Amazon for long period of time. Today Mediabridge is still successful with its wireless AC router product, the Mediabridge MLWR AC1200 router.
The model is not like the previous N150 router in its debut which was desktop model with oval style. The MLWR AC1200 router is designed with vertical design to save little space.
- Based on wireless AC1200 network segment dual band
- Wifi speeds of up to 867Mbps @5GHz band and up to 300Mbps @2.4GHz band
- 2 high powered external antennas
- Beamforming technology ready
- Full control, guest access, parental control
- Can be configured as wireless range extender
- 4x Gigabit LAN and 1x Gigabit WAN ports
- 1x USB 2.0 port
Like the original Mediabridge wireless N150 model, MLWR AC1200 router is tagged with reasonable price of $59.99. Click the link below for more spec details, current price and rated in Amazon.
Click here for Mediabridge AC1200 router
TP-link Archer C5 router
TP-link Archer C5 model is designed almost the same as other last generation TP-link router models such as Archer C7 AC1750 router which are designed with three external antennas, and almost all of them are shiny black, though there are one or two is white including the new Archer C9 AC1900 router.
However, the last generation of wireless AC1200 routers introduced by TP-link is different, TP-link Archer C60 which is designed with nice and stylist model and with high gain four antennas for better network coverage. You may also consider this model instead of Archer C1200 (C5), however up to now this product is still not available in Amazon or any few online stores.
- Total bandwidth up to 1.2Gbps
- Six antennas, 3x external antennas and 3x internal antennas
- Gigabit interfaces and two USB ports for sharing printer, storage and other multimedia devices
- TP-LINK Tether app
- FTP server. You can access the files stored in the USB attached storage by means of FTP remote access.
- No USB 3.0 port
- No Beamforming compared to Archer C8 and C9
Or you may also consider the newer model of TP-link Archer C60 that comes with high gain four antennas:
Click here for TP-link Archer C60
The last generation of TP-link routers when you compare with the previous generation ones is that they come with Tether apps to let you manage your network from the palm of your hand via your mobile devices including Android or iOS devices. This is similar to that of Linksys Smart wifi apps or Netgear Genie apps.
So far the rating is excellent, it receives 4.7 out of 5 star customer ratings. It is worth to purchase this Archer C5 for your small house network.
Asus offers products that are worthy to consider when you come to choose which networking devices to select. The products released in the market always get good responses by its loyal users around the world, including this Asus RT-AC56U and the latest model in wireless AC1300 is Asus RT-ARCH13.
With Asus RT-AC56U you have a flat model with internal antennas, while the Asus RT-ARCH13 is like few models with four external antennas.
- Powered by quad core A7 processor with 128MB flash and 128MB DDR3 RAM
- 4x 5dBi external antennas (2 x 2.4 GHz and 2 x 5 GHz) internal antennas with AiRadar beamforming technology.
- AC1300 with MU-MIMO technology for concurrent data throughput
- 1x USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
- Cloud feature with AiCloud app to let you sync, share, and stream files remotely via internet
- AsusWRT a dashboard user interface for easy network management
- VPN server enabled
- Only one USB port, the RT-AC56U is two USB ports
Click here for Asus RT-ARCH13 spec details and current prices in Amazon
When you compare RT-AC56U with RT-ARCH13 you can find that the hardware performance is different. RT-AC56U is powered by dual core Cortex -A9 800Mhs while RT-ARCH13 is powered by Quad core processor.
If you compare Asus RT-AC56U or ARCH13 with TP-link Archer C5 you can find that the antenna design is different. TP-link designs Archer C5 with 3x internal antennas and 3x external antennas, on the other hand Asus designs RT-AC56U with 4x internal antennas and ARCH13 comes with four 5dBi high power external antennas.
Asus has been getting a place in the hearts of users, some of the last flagship products receive nice rating arguably above average rating compared to other wireless routers in its class. You can mention Asus RT-N66U wireless N900 router which became best seller in Amazon with 4.3 out of 5 star customer rating, or you may consider Asus AC66U wireless AC1750 router and still more.
However, the new wifi trend in mesh wifi router Asus is not as successful as the other vendors. Asus Lyra so far is still not favorable compared with other mesh wifi system, improvement is still on going.
Netgear becomes aggressive networking vendor in producing wireless routers and other networking products in order to become the most sophisticated vendor in releasing excellent products. You can mention Netgear Nighthawk X6 or Netgear Nighthawk X4 which become flagship products that are successful in the market in that time. And today you can find Netgear Orbi mesh wifi system which becomes one of most wanted mesh wireless router in the market.
In the wireless AC1200 router class, Netgear releases R6220, R6210 and R6230 (that will be discussed here). Instead of taking R6220, Netgear R6230 is preference and is rated excellent in Amazon.
- Powered by 880MHz processor with 128 MB flash and 128 MB RAM
- Goof performance, ideal for large home
- Gigabit Ethernet interfaces for both 1x WAN and 4x LAN ports and one USB 2.0 port
- Netgear Genie Apps to let you manage your network easily from mobile devices
- DoS attack protection, wifi security and guest network
- Doesn’t support beamforming technology
- USB 2.0 instead of faster USB 3.0 port
If you compare Netgear R6220 or R6230 with Asus RT-AC56U or RT-ARCH13 there is apparent difference in antenna’s design, and the number of USB port is only one USB 2.0 port as opposed with Asus AC56U with 2 USB ports.
This router is ideal solution for your mobile devices in home including Android, iOS and other tablets as well as laptops. It doesn’t matter with the absence of USB 3.0 port, if you don’t need high speed storage – just standard USB disk is appropriate for sharing files across the network.
Click here for R6220 spec’s details and current price
For higher speed, more bandwidth for multiple mobile devices you may consider Netgear R6400 with ReadyCloud USB Access.
Linksys WRT AC1200
Like other networking vendors such as Netgear, Asus and D-link, Linksys offers various models of wireless router with various budget you can afford to purchase. One of Linksys products in wireless AC1200 class is WRT AC1200 which has the spirit of the legend of famous WRT series in the past. Unlike other Linksys series, this model is based on open source Linux-based firmware ideal for developers as well as ordinary people that love wifi network.
- Based on wireless AC1200 with Linux-based firmware
- 2x high performance external antennas
- Powered by 1.3GHz dual core processor
- 4x Gigabit LAN and 1x Gigabit WAN Ports
- 1x USB 3.0 port and 1x e-SATA / USB 2.0 combo port
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi software with Network Map
- No cloud feature
- No beamforming
You can see that the processor powered to this router is as powerful as the one used in some high end router models including wireless AC5300 routers such as Linksys EA9500 AC5400 and Nighthawk X8.
Linksys WRT 1200AC is the younger brother of the famous Linksys WRT 1900AC which is also based on Open source Linux-based firmware.
For D-link lovers, the wireless AC1200 offered by D-link is DIR-850L or the later model is DIR-842.
The last generation of the D-link router products including this DIR-850L are designed with cylinder models with port interfaces in one side and LED light indicators at the opposite side of the ports as the front side. The previous models were designed with flat models with two or three external antennas like other routers in general.
- High performance router ideal for smooth HD video streaming and fast responsive gaming
- Gigabit Ethernet interfaces both WAN (1x) and LAN (4x)
- 1x USB 2.0 port for sharing printer, storage and personal Cloud
- myDlink Shareport a personal cloud feature for disk storage connected to USB port
- single USB 2.0 port, cannot share printer and storage altogether
- doesn’t support beamforming
so far the customer rating is averagely 4.0 out of 5 stars, excellent rating for wireless AC1200 router under $100.
Instead of D-link DIR-850L you might also like high gain version DIR-842. DIR-842 is designed with the same AC1200 wifi technology, however it is designed with high gain antennas. Probably you cannot find any wireless AC1200 routers that come with four high gain external dual band antennas, but this DIR-842 comes with four external antennas like those high end routers such as high speed Linksys WRT AC3200 router and D-link DIR-885L AC3100 router.
D-link is one of the networking vendors that is frequently late in releasing new products with new technology compared with Netgear or Asus. See also new D-link 880L with wireless AC1900 which is released to the market when some of wireless AC1900 routers have been around in the market for months.
Google Mesh wifi system
Should you require wireless AC1200 router at the first time, you may consider new technology trend in wireless network – the whole home wireless router. Typically a mesh wireless router network comes with two or three packs of products, you may start one unit of one of top 10 mesh home wireless system – The Google mesh wifi system which is ideal for startup and you can add more unit to extend the network.
Click here for Google mesh wifi system – one pack product to cover up to 1,500 sq ft of your home.