Top 10 Best Mesh Whole Home Wifi
With the emerging of mesh wifi system products, folks are busy switching and upgrading their aging wireless routers to using this trend – the mesh wifi system or mesh whole home wifi system. All the networking vendors introduce their flagship products, some are successful in the market become best mesh wifi system and some are not.
Why mesh wifi router
Mesh wifi system or whole home wifi system is easy to setup and deploy within small to large homes. Typically it comes in two or three packs for most home size. One unit connects to the modem to act as the mesh wifi router, the other units work as its satellite something like the wireless range extender. Mesh wifi system replaces the wireless router and the range extender. See also top 10 wireless extenders.
With wireless extender, the router talks to the extender head to head while in mesh wifi system each unit talks one to another in a mesh connection so data can find the best route from node to node to destination point efficiently. Communication between nodes typically uses wifi backhaul either using dedicated radio band @5GHz band or shared radio band with connected clients.
One network name
One of most important feature with mesh wifi system is that it creates a single wifi / network name (aka one SSID name) so you can move with your mobile device roaming from one room to the other rooms seamlessly. With wifi range extender when you roam from one network name to wifi range extender you need switch from one SSID to another SSID name.
Mesh wifi system is also applied to wireless access point such as Unifi uap- Flex HD mesh wifi access point.
Now which one is best whole home wifi system (many people call it a mesh wifi system) suitable to meet your home need?
Top 10 best mesh router
Not all vendors are successful with their mesh wifi system products they offer either two or three band models. Some of them cannot compete with the others. Now, here are top 10 best mesh wifi system products with either three band or two band whole home wifi system products in the market.
1. Amazon eero
The first generation of eero whole home wifi system is claimed to be the first mesh wifi system in the market, it was a startup project that becomes very popular and got the best rated in the market at the first time released.
At the end of 2019, eero was acquired by Amazon and modified to work with Amazon Alexa and becomes compliant with Amazon smart home environment. Then the body is modified so that it looks more elegant and stylist than the original model which is only a flat square box with smooth curved edges.
- Simultaneous dual band with 2×2 MU-MIMO technology
- Typically sold in three pack to form whole home wifi system covering up to 5,000 sq ft replacing your wireless router and extenders
- Comes with two auto sensing Gigabit Ethernet ports (WAN / LAN ports), you can start from one unit Amazon eero and add more to cover larger area
- Automatic firmware update, no hassle of downloading and manually updating the firmware
- You upgrade to subscribe for eero Secure service gives you essential tools like threat scans, content warnings, and ad-blocking and the eero Secure + add top-rated security apps — Encrypt.me, 1Password, and Malwarebytes.
- Works with Alexa, Amazon WiFi simple setup, Bluetooth LE 5.0 for smart home connectivity
- Powered by 700 MHz quad-core processor with 512MB RAM and 4GB flash storage
Under Amazon umbrella, Amazon eero is now tagged with cheaper price (around $249.99) than the original eero when it was first launched in the market.
2. Google Wifi system
Until now Google is still becoming one of the best mesh wifi system in the market, the market acceptance is excellent. This product is one of the most successful hardware products offered by Google in networking category.
Google mesh wifi router is based on wave 2 wifi ac technology with AC1200 network segment. You can place each of the unit on the table, on shelf or hang on the wall using mount holder bracket.
Google mesh wifi is one product that can rival the popularity of Amazon eero at the time. It comes with the same simultaneous dual band AC1200 mesh wifi system based on wave 2 MU-MIMO technology.
- Simultaneous dual band whole home mesh wifi system, ideal for most home sizes
- Wave 2 AC1200 2×2 MU-MIMO technology
- Covers up to 1,500 sq ft each unit, you can add more unit to cover larger area
- Speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz and up to 300Mbps @2.4Ghz with share wifi backhaul link between nodes
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports for either WAN or LAN ports with auto sensing
- Advanced network assist software
- Family wifi controls / parental control
- Some people find problems for AT&T WIFI calling on MULTIPLE devices, a bit issue with the Bridge mode. Some people find it helpful with this https://kb.netgear.com/000028987/When-to-put-modem-into-bridge-mode
Google with its debut in mesh home wifi system is arguable successful compared with other products. No wonder that this product becomes best seller in Amazon and one of best whole home wifi systems in the market and is currently rated 4.4.
Google released a new model with a higher speed – Google Nest wifi with AC2200 wifi dual band 4×4 MU-MIMO technology and also you can add its satellite with built-in stereo speaker as Google assistant – the Google Nest Point with 2×2 AC1200 MU-MIMO. You can combine two or more Google Nest routers and Nest Point. See also Google Nest mesh wifi.
3. TP-link Deco P9
Does not want to being left behind, the first debut TP-link with mesh wifi system is TP-link Deco M5 dual band with a relatively much cheaper price than the others. The body design is unique compared to other mesh systems on the market. Looks nice and sweet should you place it in your room blending with home decor.
Deco comes in three packs and each unit covers up to 1,500 sq ft, three packs cover up to 4,500 sq ft. Deco is based on AC1300 with speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz and up to 400Mbps @2.4GHz slightly higher than Google mesh, and backhaul is wifi.
Even though this product is still in demand and is rated excellent in some online retail shop, in 2020 I would prefer to choose the hybrid version of TP-link Deco P9. What’s so great about this Deco P9 compared to the Deco M5 series?
One of the advantages of Deco Hybrid is the use of hybrid backhaul that uses Powerline 1000Mbps. With Powerline backhaul, the two existing radio bands can be used specifically for connected devices if all Deco units are P9. You can combine P9 with other Deco series such as Deco M5 or Deco S4. With the combination of Deco P9 and other Deco series, the backhaul used is also a combination of 1000Mbps Powerline and radio band @ 5GHz.
- Simultaneous Dual band whole home wifi system with AC1200 2×2 MU-MIMO technology
- dual band with speeds of up 300 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps on 5 GHz
- 1000Mbps Powerline as backhaul link between P9 units and optional wired Ethernet backhaul
- Can be combined with other Deco series to form mesh wifi system with hybrid backhaul combination of Powerline and wifi
- Can be configured as mesh wifi system or wireless access point
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports each Deco unit with auto sensing
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control
- Some people reported that the parent control performance is not so good
TP-link Deco is tagged with lower price than competing products, it cost only $230 / three packs. Click the link below for complete spec and description details and link to SHOP in Amazon:
4. Meshforce M3
The most popular newcomer – a startup mesh wifi system product today is Meshforce M3. Its predecessor was the Meshforce M1, which is so popular in the market with performance and price that provides high value than any other product on the market today.
Meshforce M3 is typically packed in 3 units consists of 1x M3 unit and 2 units of Dot M3 (with wall-plug model). Or you can purchase the M3s bundle that consists of 3x Units of M3. With an affordable price this product turned out to be in great demand proven testimonials from customers very positive and becomes one of best mesh wifi system in the market with affordable price, the performance is excellent and good value for money.
- Based on AC1200 dual band same as competing products from Amazon eero and Deco series
- Speeds up to 866Mbps @5Ghz + 400Mbps @2.4Ghz with wifi backhaul
- Covers up to 4,000 sq ft for three packs (one meshforce m3 router and two mesh point) – expand up to 6 mesh dot
- 2 x 3 dBi built-in omni-directional antennas with MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology, the Dot comes with : 2 x 2 dBi built-in omni-directional antennas
- Support up to 60 devices for three pack
- 2x Gigabit LAN port, the Dot model only come with 1x Gigabit Ethernet Port
- Doesn’t support Alexa, next firmware will fix it.
The newer model is Meshforce M3s which enhance more powerful and larger coverage.
5. Rock Space AC1200
Rock space brand probably be as strange to your ears as Meshforce when it first appeared on the market. Besides releasing several models of wifi range extender, Rock space also released a 3-pack mesh wifi system that is sold at a more economical price than the Deco or Meshforce series with the same AC1200 MU-MIMO technology.
The body model is simply designed in the form of a black charcoal cube and the good thing is that rock space comes with a built-in firewall to prevent any UDP / TCP flood attack from the public internet.
- Simultaneous dual band mesh wifi system with AC1200 MU-MIMO technology
- 2x3dBi dual band antennas with Beamforming
- With three pack covers up to 5500 sq ft, ideal for covering homes from basement to attic
- Easy to setup and control with your mobile device with RS wifi app
- Guest network is available you can set including time limits and children’s access limit
- One network name and seamless roaming (802.11v/r protocol)
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports, WAN and LAN port on the router and 2x LAN ports each satellite
- Built-in firewall with UDP / TCP flood attack
- Works with Alexa
With three packs bundle, this product is tagged with affordable price around $140. Rock space becomes one of best mesh wifi system with affordable price available in the market. Click the link below to learn more spec details and SHOP in Amazon.
6. Ubiquiti Amplifi HD
Another excellent rated mesh wifi router with dual band system is offered by Ubiquiti – Amplifi HD mesh wifi system. It comes with mesh router with smart-touch display for real time status. It’s aggregated bandwidth is up to 5.25Gbps together with two mesh point units.
Unlike the other models, Ubiquiti Amplifi HD comes with two mesh point units with wall-plug model easy to install anywhere with dead spots area.
- Simultaneous Dual band mesh wifi system
- Speeds up to 1300Mbps @5Ghz and 450Mbps @2.4Ghz
- Covers up to 10,000 sq ft for your large homes
- Mesh wifi router plus two mesh point HD
- Router with touch screen display status
- Mesh router with 4x Gigabit LAN ports and 1x Gigabit WAN port
- Amplify app for easy network management
- The price is still expensive
The Amplifi mesh point HD can be used as individual wireless range extender for your existing wireless router, universal router for connection.
Ubiquiti introduces new Amplifi Alien with wifi 6 technology – higher speed up to 7685Mbps dual band. Follow the following product link Amplifi Alien vs Linksys Velop
7. NETGEAR Orbi
With the same model of three band mesh wifi router, Netgear offers Orbi RBK50 two pack units whole home wifi system consists of one router unit and one satellite unit. Orbi covers up to 2,000 sq ft area each unit, the same as Velop can cover.
When you compare with Velop, physically Orbi offers more Gigabit Ethernet ports – 4 Gigabit LAN ports. The router unit is embedded with 1x Gigabit Ethernet WAN port you connect to Gigabit cable modem such as new Arris Surfboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem or Netgear C1000 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.
- Three band mesh wifi system
- Speeds of up to 1733Mbps + 866Mbps +400Mbps (AC3000)
- 6x high powered internal antennas
- Supports Beamforming and MU-MIMO technologies
- quad core processor with 4GB flash and 512 MB RAM
- 4x Gigabit WAN/LAN Ethernet ports
- 1x USB 2.0 port
Orbi offers more hardware interfaces than Linksys Velop, 2x more Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1x USB port, and is technically higher speed. No wonder this product is successful in the market, one of best whole home wifi systems with excellent rating in Amazon.
You may also like a comparison between Linksys velop and Orbi.
7. Plume Superpod
Most three band mesh wifi systems are typically more expensive than those two band products, this relates to the total bandwidth they can deliver. Plume Superpod is a new comer in mesh wifi product, and only two products – the Plume Pod and Plume Superpod. Superpod is a three band mesh wifi system and what makes this product different with other models is the dynamic backhaul.
Few models of mesh router are designed with dedicated radio for backhaul, but Superpod is designed to use dynamic backhaul and select the best available radio band automatically.
- Wall-plug three band mesh wifi system
- Three band simultaneously with AC3000 (400 + 867 + 1734Mbps)
- simultaneously operating 2.4GHz and 5GHz 2×2 MIMO and 5GHz 4×4 MU-MIMO 802.11b/g/n/ac radios
- Dynamic auto selection radio band for backhaul
- 2x Gigabit LAN/WAN Ethernet ports
- Price is very expensive compared with others, almost the same price as the new wifi 6 mesh wifi system.
Plume Superpod is a new brand that you might not hear it before but its debut in mesh wifi router is surprising knowing that it receives excellent customer rating in Amazon so far. You may have it a shot to taste how good the performance.
8. Linksys Velop Tri-band
Linksys Velop WHW0302 is three band AC4400 whole home wifi system, one of best mesh wifi router products in the market so far. It’s a modular mesh system you can add more unit when you require larger area to cover easily. With two packs unit this module can cover up to 4,000 sq ft, each unit covers up to 2,000 sq ft area.
Linksys app helps you setup process quickly including parental control, guest network, and is auto-fix node. When one node is failed, the system will re-establish the network by using another node.
- Three band mesh wifi system, 2.4GHz + 5GHz + 5GHz
- Speeds of up to 867Mbps + 867Mbps + 400Mbps (AC2,200)
- Supports MU-MIMO technology
- 6x internal antennas with high powered amplifiers
- 2x Gigabit WAN/LAN with auto-sensing Ethernet ports
- 716MHz quad core processor with 4GB flash and 512MB RAM
- Many people find some “pauses” in connectivity in some cases, probably they are not lucky with the faulty products and the rating is still good 4.0 out of 5
- many people canot fid the roaming feature not so smooth
Up to Nov 2019 Linksys Velop is rated excellent in Amazon with average 4.0 customer rating and is tagged with the price around $260.00 2 packs.
9. Gryphone Mesh
Unlike the other mesh wifi system models, Gryphone highly emphasis on advanced security and parental control. Gryphone is designed with a 3 band mesh wifi system with AC3000 base, one dedicated radio band for backhaul link.
The body shape is designed differently from other mesh models, the tower with a slight twist.
- Tri-band mesh wifi system based on AC3000, easy to setup and manage using your mobile devices
- High speed with 4×4 MU-MIMO technology
- Comes with intelligent Intrusion Detection and malware filtering and is powered by ESET technology, 1 year free subscribtion.
- Easy to use smart parental control for your kid’s protection
- Cover up to 3,000 sq ft each unit
- Dedicated 5Ghz band backhaul link
- a bit more expensive than others
The lite model is Gryphone Guardian mesh wifi system. For mesh wifi system with focus on your network threat, Gryphone becomes one of best mesh wifi system un the market.
10. Nokia Beacon
Nokia launches two types of mesh wifi system, the Nokia Beacon-1 and Nokia beacon-3. Beacon-1 is a dual band AC1200 mesh wifi system while the Beacon-3 is a dual band AC3000 mesh wifi system. Two band AC3000 is probably not common in mesh wifi system which delivers speed up to 800Mbps @2.4Ghz band and up to 2,200Mbps @5Ghz band.
Because Nokia is new in the mesh wifi system, despite the large vendors in mobile phones, many people are still reluctant to try this Nokia product.
- Dual band AC3000 mesh wifi system with easy mobile setup
- Delivers speeds of up to 800Mbps @2.4Ghz band (3×3 MIMMO) plus up to 2,200Mbps @5Ghz band (4×4 MU-MIMO)
- Coverage up to 2,000 sq ft each unit
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- Hybrid backhaul link between node
The price for Nokia Beacon-3 is tagged around $230 (Nov 2019) for three set, not bad for your home mesh wifi system. We’ll see how the market response to this product, can it become one of best mesh wifi system or will it soon buried to the earth.
See also new model of cable modem router by Netgear – Nighthawk X4s DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem router, high speed dual band AC3200 router with built-in DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. Or you may also consider wireless gateway offered by TP-link – CR1900 DOCSIS 3.0 24/8 cable modem router.