Top 10 Best Mesh Wifi Routers
With the emerging of mesh wifi router products, folks are busy switching and upgrading their aging wireless routers to using this trend – the mesh home wifi system or whole home wifi system. All the networking vendors introduce their flagship products, some are successful in the market become best mesh router and some are not.
Why mesh wifi router
Mesh wifi router system is easy to setup and deploy within small to large homes. Typically it comes in two or three packs for most home size. One unit connects to the modem to act the wireless router, the other units work as the satellite something like the wireless extender. Mesh home wifi system replaces the wireless router and the range extender. See also top 10 wireless extenders.
With wireless extender, the router talks to the extender head to head while in mesh wifi system each unit talks one to another in a mesh connection so data can find the best route from hope to hope to destination point efficiently.
One network name
One of most important feature with mesh wifi system is that it creates a single wifi / network name (aka one SSID name) so you can move with your mobile device roaming from one room to the other rooms seamlessly.
Mesh wifi system is also applied to wireless access point such as Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M and Pro mesh AC Access point.
Now which one is best mesh wifi router suitable to meet your home need?
Top 10 best mesh router
Not all vendors are successful with their mesh wifi router products they offer either two or three band models. Some of them cannot compete with the others. Now, here are top 10 best mesh router products with either three band or two band whole home mesh wifi system products in the market.
Linksys Velop Tri-band
Linksys Velop WHW0302 is three band AC4400 whole home wifi system, one of best mesh wifi router products in the market so far. It’s a modular mesh system you can add more unit when you require larger area to cover easily. With two packs unit this module can cover up to 4,000 sq ft, each unit covers up to 2,000 sq ft area.
Linksys app helps you setup process quickly including parental control, guest network, and is auto-fix node. When one node is failed, the system will re-establish the network by using another node.
- Three band mesh wifi system, 2.4GHz + 5GHz + 5GHz
- Speeds of up to 867Mbps + 867Mbps + 400Mbps (AC2,200)
- Supports MU-MIMO technology
- 6x internal antennas with high powered amplifiers
- 2x Gigabit WAN/LAN with auto-sensing Ethernet ports
- 716MHz quad core processor with 4GB flash and 512MB RAM
Up to Dec 2017 Linksys Velop is rated excellent in Amazon with average 4.5 customer rating and is tagged with the price around $300.00 2 packs.
With the same model of three band mesh wifi router, Netgear offers Orbi RBK50 two pack units whole home wifi system consists of one router unit and one satellite unit. Orbi covers up to 2,000 sq ft area each unit, the same as Velop can cover.
When you compare with Velop, physically Orbi offers more Gigabit Ethernet ports – 4 Gigabit LAN ports. The router unit is embedded with 1x Gigabit Ethernet WAN port you connect to Gigabit cable modem such as new Arris Surfboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem or Netgear C1000 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.
- Three band mesh wifi system
- Speeds of up to 1733Mbps + 866Mbps +400Mbps (AC3000)
- 6x high powered internal antennas
- Supports Beamforming and MU-MIMO technologies
- quad core processor with 4GB flash and 512 MB RAM
- 4x Gigabit WAN/LAN Ethernet ports
- 1x USB 2.0 port
Orbi offers more hardware interfaces than Linksys Velop, 2x more Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1x USB port, and is technically higher speed. No wonder this product is successful in the market, one of best whole home wifi systems with excellent rating in Amazon.
Google Wifi system
Linksys Velop and Orbi offer three band mesh wifi system with 6 internal antennas and MU-MIMO technology. Google mesh wifi router offers two band model with each uni covers up to 1,500 sq ft, three sets can cover up to 4,500 sq ft ideal for most size of homes.
Google mesh wifi router is based on wave 2 wifi ac technology with AC1200 network segment. You can place each if the unit on the table, on shelf or hang on the wall mount holder bracket.
- Two band model of mesh wifi router
- Wave 2 AC1200 2×2 wifi technology
- Covers up to 1,500 sq ft each unit
- Speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz and up to 300Mbps @2.4Ghz
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Advanced network assist software
- Family wifi controls / parental control
Google with its debut in mesh home wifi system is arguable successful compared with other products. No wonder that this product becomes best seller in Amazon and one of best whole home wifi systems in the market and is currently rated 4.4.
The first generation of eero is two band mesh whole home wifi system which was claimed the first model of mesh home wifi system in the market. The second generation is eero pro which is designed with three band mesh router technology.
The 2nd G of eero pro supports and works with Alexa with TrueMesh software to help you setup parental control, Alexa integration and other networking management.
- 2x Faster than 1st generation of eero with TrueMesh technology
- Simultaneous three band technology (2.4Ghz; 5.2Ghz; 5.8Ghz) with 2×2 MU-MIMO each band
- Speeds of up to 240Mbps @2.4Ghz; and 2x 600Mbps @5Ghz
- Cover up to 1,000 sq ft each unit
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports and BLE 4.2 Bluetooth
- Auto update firmware
- Works with Alexa
- Powered by 700Mbps Quad core processor and 512MB RAM and 4GB flash
Eero pro with three packs is tagged with higher price than the other two products. Prices are always fluctuating by times.
Ubiquiti Amplifi HD
Another excellent rated mesh wifi router with dual band system is offered by Ubiquiti – Amplifi HD mesh wifi system. It comes with mesh router with smart-touch display for real time status. It’s aggregated bandwidth is up to 5.25Gbps together with two mesh point units.
Unlike the other models, Ubiquiti Amplifi HD comes with two mesh point units with wall-plug model easy to install anywhere with dead spots area.
- Dual band mesh wifi system
- Speeds up to 1300Mbps @5Ghz and 450Mbps @2.4Ghz
- Mesh wifi router plus two mesh point HD
- Router with touch screen display status
- Mesh router with 4x Gigabit LAN ports and 1x Gigabit WAN port
- Amplify app for easy network management
The Amplifi mesh point HD can be used as individual wireless range extender for your existing wireless router, universal router for connection.
TP-link Deco M5
The first mesh router offered by TP-link is Deco M5. TP-link combines the three devices into Deco M5 mesh wifi system – the mesh wifi router + security box + parental control. Deco comes in three packs and each unit covers up to 1,500 sq ft, three packs cover up to 4,500 sq ft. Deco is based on AC1300 with speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz and up to 400Mbps @2.4GHz slightly higher than Google mesh.
- AC1300 mesh wifi system covering up to 4,500 sq ft / three packs
- Speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz plus 400Mbps @2.4Ghz
- TP-link Adaptive routing technology (ART) for best clients connection
- Built-in Home Care powered by Trend Micro for antivirus and internet protection
- AP steering, band steering, MU-MIMO, Beamforming and QoS by device / application
- Powered by 1.0Ghz Quad core processor
- Two Gigabit Ethernet port WAN/LAN
TP-link Deco is tagged with lower price than competing products, it cost only $220 / three packs. Click the link below for complete spec and description details:
D-link Covr AC3900
D-link in its debut in mesh wifi router is Covr-3902 AC3900 mesh whole home system with four simultaneous data streams. The core system is the Covr router which is based on AC2600 technology two band. D-link design is like the first model of Orbi which consist of router and the satellite. The D-link satellite is Covr-1300 which is based on AC1300 technology adding total aggregate bandwidth up to 3,900Mbps blanked most home size up to 6,000 sq ft.
- Powerful core router AC2600 plus AC1300 extender
- Four high power external antennas
- Four data streams (4×4) with MU-MIMO technology
- Covering all home size up to 6,000 sq ft
- 1x Gigabit WAN and 4x Gigabit LAN ports for router + 1x USB 3.0
- 2x Gigabit LAN for extender
- Featuring guest zone, parental control, DLNA, QoS, Airtime fairness, DMZ
D-link Covr-3902 is not like other whole home wifi system which is typically designed with internal antennas. D-link model is like wireless router in general with external antennas and wireless range extender.
Another three pack model of whole home wifi system is offered by EnGenius. EnGenius EMR3000 is designed like the other three pack light model such as Deco, eero and Google. It’s a two band model based AC1200 wifi technology.
EnGenius EMR3000 applies True Mesh link technology with smart sensor for best connection performance.
- AC1200 with 2×2:2 MIMO technology
- Speeds of up to 867Mbps @5Ghz plus 300Mbps @2.4Ghz
- Integrated Omni-Directional antennas
- Three pack model and scale up to 8 nodes
- Supports DSSS and OFDM radio technology
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports WAN/LAN interface
- 1x USB 2.0 port
EnGenius EMR3000-kit is tagged with lower price than other competing products, it costs around $266.00. so far the customer rating is good, 4.1 out of 5 stars in Amazon.
Zyxel Multy X
Zyxel Multy X is a three band mesh wifi system and one of these bands is used dedicatedly as the backbone, the dedicated backhaul for router to mesh extender connection so the other two bands are for clients connection. Similar technical method is used by Asus Lyra three band.
- Based on AC3000 three band, one band is used as dedicated backhaul
- Speeds up to 866Mbps @5Ghz + 400Mbps @2.4Ghz plus dedicated band 1733Mbps @5Ghz
- Covers up to 5,000 sq ft for two packs
- MU-MIMO, Beamforming, AP / band steering
- 9 internal antennas
- 1x Gigabit WAN port plus 3x Gigabit LAN ports; 1x USB 2.0 and Bluetooth BLE 4.1
- Auto firmware update
Zyxel Multy X is featuring similar as Orbi mesh wifi system with three band AC3000. However, Zyxel is tagged with lower price than Orbi.
Tenda MW6 Nova
Probably Tenda MW6 Nova is the lowest price among the three pack mesh router products, price is so far under $200.00 in Amazon. it’s a reliable whole home wifi system with three pack cover up to 6,000 sq ft.
The good thing is that it is based on wave 2 MU-MIMO technology with AC1200 network segment speeds up to 867Mbps plus 300Mbps, nearly the same as Google.
- Based on wave 2 AC1200 technology
- Comes with MU-MIMO and Beamforming technologies
- Speeds up to 866Mbps @5Ghz plus 300Mbps @2.4Ghz / unit
- Three pack cover up to 6,000 sq ft
- Parental control and guest network
- 2x Gigabit WAN/LAN ports
- Online firmware update
Tenda MW6 Nova is tagged only under $200 in the market, remember prices are always changing by time. Click the link below for spec details, description and current price and link to Amazon shop.
See also new model of cable modem router by Netgear – Nighthawk X4s DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem router, high speed dual band AC3200 router with built-in DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. Or you may also consider wireless gateway offered by TP-link – CR1900 DOCSIS 3.0 24/8 cable modem router.