Top 10 Best Mesh Wifi Routers
With the emerging of mesh wifi router products, folks are busy switching and upgrading their aging wireless routers to using this trend – the mesh home wifi system or whole home wifi system. All the networking vendors introduce their flagship products, some are successful in the market become best mesh router and some are not.
Why mesh wifi router
Mesh wifi router system is easy to setup and deploy within small to large homes. Typically it comes in two or three packs for most home size. One unit connects to the modem to act the wireless router, the other units work as the satellite something like the wireless extender. Mesh home wifi system replaces the wireless router and the range extender. See also top 10 wireless extenders.
With wireless extender, the router talks to the extender head to head while in mesh wifi system each unit talks one to another in a mesh connection so data can find the best route from hope to hope to destination point efficiently.
One network name
One of most important feature with mesh wifi system is that it creates a single wifi / network name (aka one SSID name) so you can move with your mobile device roaming from one room to the other rooms seamlessly.
Mesh wifi system is also applied to wireless access point such as Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M and Pro mesh AC Access point.
Now which one is best mesh wifi router suitable to meet your home need?
Top 10 best mesh router
Not all vendors are successful with their mesh wifi router products they offer either two or three band models. Some of them cannot compete with the others. Now, here are top 10 best mesh router products with either three band or two band whole home mesh wifi system products in the market.
1. Google Wifi system
Until now Google is still becoming one of the best mesh wifi systems in the market, the market acceptance is very good. This product is one of the most successful hardware products offered by Google in networking category.
Google mesh wifi router is based on wave 2 wifi ac technology with AC1200 network segment. You can place each of the unit on the table, on shelf or hang on the wall using mount holder bracket.
- Two band model of mesh wifi router, ideal for most size homes
- Wave 2 AC1200 2×2 wifi technology
- Covers up to 1,500 sq ft each unit
- Speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz and up to 300Mbps @2.4Ghz
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Advanced network assist software
- Family wifi controls / parental control
- Some people find problems for AT&T WIFI calling on MULTIPLE devices, a bit issue with the Bridge mode. Some people find it helpful with this https://kb.netgear.com/000028987/When-to-put-modem-into-bridge-mode
Google with its debut in mesh home wifi system is arguable successful compared with other products. No wonder that this product becomes best seller in Amazon and one of best whole home wifi systems in the market and is currently rated 4.4.
2. TP-link Deco M5
Does not want to being left behind, the first debut TP-link with mesh wifi system is TP-link Deco M5 dual band with a relatively much cheaper price than the others. The body design is unique compared to other mesh systems on the market. Looks nice and sweet should you place it in your room blending with home decor.
Deco comes in three packs and each unit covers up to 1,500 sq ft, three packs cover up to 4,500 sq ft. Deco is based on AC1300 with speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz and up to 400Mbps @2.4GHz slightly higher than Google mesh.
- AC1300 mesh wifi system covering up to 4,500 sq ft / three packs
- Speeds up to 867Mbps @5Ghz plus 400Mbps @2.4Ghz
- TP-link Adaptive routing technology (ART) for best clients connection
- Built-in Home Care powered by Trend Micro for antivirus and internet protection
- AP steering, band steering, MU-MIMO, Beamforming and QoS by device / application
- Powered by 1.0Ghz Quad core processor
- Two Gigabit Ethernet port WAN/LAN
- Some people reported that the performance was degrading when you have more devices at home. It’s just some cases, when you need more devices with higher speed, you may try to use the wifi 6 mesh wifi system such as Velop wifi 6 mesh wifi system or Orbi wifi 6 mesh system
TP-link Deco is tagged with lower price than competing products, it cost only $160 / three packs. Click the link below for complete spec and description details:
3. Meshforce M3
The most popular newcomer – a startup mesh wifi system product today is Meshforce M3. Its predecessor was the Meshforce M1, which is so popular in the market with performance and price that provides high value than any other product on the market today.
- Based on AC1200 dual band same as competing products from Google and Deco
- Speeds up to 866Mbps @5Ghz + 400Mbps @2.4Ghz
- Covers up to 4,000 sq ft for three packs (one meshforce m3 router and two mesh point) – expand up to 6 mesh dot
- Support up to 60 devices for three pack
- 2x Gigabit LAN port plus 3
- Doesn’t support Alexa, next firmware will fix it.
The newer model is Meshforce M3s which enhance more powerful and larger coverage.
4. Eero Pro
The first generation of eero is two band mesh whole home wifi system which was claimed the first model of mesh home wifi system in the market. The second generation is eero pro which is designed with three band mesh router technology.
The 2nd G of eero pro supports and works with Alexa with TrueMesh software to help you setup parental control, Alexa integration and other networking management.
- 2x Faster than 1st generation of eero with TrueMesh technology
- Simultaneous three band technology (2.4Ghz; 5.2Ghz; 5.8Ghz) with 2×2 MU-MIMO each band
- Speeds of up to 240Mbps @2.4Ghz; and 2x 600Mbps @5Ghz
- Cover up to 1,000 sq ft each unit
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports and BLE 4.2 Bluetooth
- Auto update firmware
- Works with Alexa
- Powered by 700Mbps Quad core processor and 512MB RAM and 4GB flash
Eero pro with three packs is tagged with higher price than the other two products. Prices are always fluctuating by times.
5. Ubiquiti Amplifi HD
Another excellent rated mesh wifi router with dual band system is offered by Ubiquiti – Amplifi HD mesh wifi system. It comes with mesh router with smart-touch display for real time status. It’s aggregated bandwidth is up to 5.25Gbps together with two mesh point units.
Unlike the other models, Ubiquiti Amplifi HD comes with two mesh point units with wall-plug model easy to install anywhere with dead spots area.
- Dual band mesh wifi system
- Speeds up to 1300Mbps @5Ghz and 450Mbps @2.4Ghz
- Mesh wifi router plus two mesh point HD
- Router with touch screen display status
- Mesh router with 4x Gigabit LAN ports and 1x Gigabit WAN port
- Amplify app for easy network management
- The price is still expensive
The Amplifi mesh point HD can be used as individual wireless range extender for your existing wireless router, universal router for connection.
6. NETGEAR Orbi
With the same model of three band mesh wifi router, Netgear offers Orbi RBK50 two pack units whole home wifi system consists of one router unit and one satellite unit. Orbi covers up to 2,000 sq ft area each unit, the same as Velop can cover.
When you compare with Velop, physically Orbi offers more Gigabit Ethernet ports – 4 Gigabit LAN ports. The router unit is embedded with 1x Gigabit Ethernet WAN port you connect to Gigabit cable modem such as new Arris Surfboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem or Netgear C1000 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.
- Three band mesh wifi system
- Speeds of up to 1733Mbps + 866Mbps +400Mbps (AC3000)
- 6x high powered internal antennas
- Supports Beamforming and MU-MIMO technologies
- quad core processor with 4GB flash and 512 MB RAM
- 4x Gigabit WAN/LAN Ethernet ports
- 1x USB 2.0 port
Orbi offers more hardware interfaces than Linksys Velop, 2x more Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1x USB port, and is technically higher speed. No wonder this product is successful in the market, one of best whole home wifi systems with excellent rating in Amazon.
You may also like a comparison between Linksys velop and Orbi.
7. Plume Superpod
Most three band mesh wifi systems are typically more expensive than those two band products, this relates to the total bandwidth they can deliver. Plume Superpod is a new comer in mesh wifi product, and only two products – the Plume Pod and Plume Superpod. Superpod is a three band mesh wifi system and what makes this product different with other models is the dynamic backhaul.
Few models of mesh router are designed with dedicated radio for backhaul, but Superpod is designed to use dynamic backhaul and select the best available radio band automatically.
- Wall-plug three band mesh wifi system
- Three band simultaneously with AC3000 (400 + 867 + 1734Mbps)
- simultaneously operating 2.4GHz and 5GHz 2×2 MIMO and 5GHz 4×4 MU-MIMO 802.11b/g/n/ac radios
- Dynamic auto selection radio band for backhaul
- 2x Gigabit LAN/WAN Ethernet ports
- Price is very expensive compared with others, almost the same price as the new wifi 6 mesh wifi system.
Plume Superpod is a new brand that you might not hear it before but its debut in mesh wifi router is surprising knowing that it receives excellent customer rating in Amazon so far. You may have it a shot to taste how good the performance.
8. Linksys Velop Tri-band
Linksys Velop WHW0302 is three band AC4400 whole home wifi system, one of best mesh wifi router products in the market so far. It’s a modular mesh system you can add more unit when you require larger area to cover easily. With two packs unit this module can cover up to 4,000 sq ft, each unit covers up to 2,000 sq ft area.
Linksys app helps you setup process quickly including parental control, guest network, and is auto-fix node. When one node is failed, the system will re-establish the network by using another node.
- Three band mesh wifi system, 2.4GHz + 5GHz + 5GHz
- Speeds of up to 867Mbps + 867Mbps + 400Mbps (AC2,200)
- Supports MU-MIMO technology
- 6x internal antennas with high powered amplifiers
- 2x Gigabit WAN/LAN with auto-sensing Ethernet ports
- 716MHz quad core processor with 4GB flash and 512MB RAM
- Many people find some “pauses” in connectivity in some cases, probably they are not lucky with the faulty products and the rating is still good 4.0 out of 5
- many people canot fid the roaming feature not so smooth
Up to Nov 2019 Linksys Velop is rated excellent in Amazon with average 4.0 customer rating and is tagged with the price around $260.00 2 packs.
9. Gryphone Mesh
Unlike the other mesh wifi system models, Gryphone highly emphasis on advanced security and parental control. Gryphone is designed with a 3 band mesh wifi system with AC3000 base, one special band for backhaul link.
The body shape is designed differently from other mesh models, the tower with a slight twist.
- Tri-band mesh wifi system based on AC3000, easy to setup and manage using your mobile devices
- High speed with 4×4 MU-MIMO technology
- Comes with intelligent Intrusion Detection and malware filtering and is powered by ESET technology, 1 year free subscribtion.
- Easy to use smart parental control for your kid’s protection
- Cover up to 3,000 sq ft each unit
- Dedicated 5Ghz band backhaul link
- a bit more expensive than others
10. Nokia Beacon
Nokia launches two types of mesh wifi system, the Nokia Beacon-1 and Nokia beacon-3. Beacon-1 is a dual band AC1200 mesh wifi system while the Beacon-3 is a dual band AC3000 mesh wifi system. Two band AC3000 is probably not common in mesh wifi system which delivers speed up to 800Mbps @2.4Ghz band and up to 2,200Mbps @5Ghz band.
Because Nokia is new in the mesh wifi system, despite the large vendors in mobile phones, many people are still reluctant to try this Nokia product.
- Dual band AC3000 mesh wifi system with easy mobile setup
- Delivers speeds of up to 800Mbps @2.4Ghz band (3×3 MIMMO) plus up to 2,200Mbps @5Ghz band (4×4 MU-MIMO)
- Coverage up to 2,000 sq ft each unit
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- Hybrid backhaul link between node
The price for Nokia Beacon-3 is tagged around $230 (Nov 2019) for three set, not bad for your home mesh wifi system.
See also new model of cable modem router by Netgear – Nighthawk X4s DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem router, high speed dual band AC3200 router with built-in DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. Or you may also consider wireless gateway offered by TP-link – CR1900 DOCSIS 3.0 24/8 cable modem router.