Most Popular Cheap Wireless Routers
What do you need a wifi router for? The most basic wireless router needs is to be able to share an internet connection with all your WiFi devices at home including laptops, mobile devices and game consoles.
Assess your needs at home, how many wifi devices need to be connected to the internet and how intensive the connection to the internet is. If only for the needs of few laptops and mobile devices especially not for high bandwidth requirements such as online gaming and 4k video streaming, then the choice of cheap wifi router with prices under $70 or under $100 is appropriate.
why spending two hundred bucks (such as Apple Airport Extreme or R7000 Netgear) for high performance wireless router just to share internet with couples of Android mobile devices and couples of laptop and one desktop? No game consoles, no Smart-TV, no Blu-Ray player and no other voice applications to run. Standard and cheap wireless router is fair enough for the tasks.
Cheap wifi routers
Here are some wireless routers that are relatively inexpensive in the market, however they are rated high (above 4 out of 5) in online retail stores such as Amazon.
1. TP-link Archer A6
One of the flagship products in the low end product category offered by TP-link is Archer A6 which is a wifi router based on dual band wifi ac1200 technology with a price under $ 50. Equipped with 4 external antennas ensure your wifi range is further than the standard wifi router with two external antennas.
- Archer A6 is based on wireless ac1200 simultaneous dual band (300Mbps for 2.4GHz + 900Mbps for 5GHz)
- 4x external antennas with MU-MIMO technology for wider range coverage
- Gigabit Ethernet ports (4x LAN and 1x WAN)
- You can configure it as the wifi access point connect to Ethernet-base network
- Industry leading 2 year warranty and FREE 24/7 technical support
- No USB port for storage / printer share
- MU-MIMO for 5Ghz only
With Gigabit WAN port you can connect high speed Gigabit Port cable modem for better data throughput such as Surfboard SB6141 or SB6190 gigabit port cable modem.
2. Wavelink AC1200
For similar products in this ac1200 class is the Wavlink 530AH wireless ac1200 router 2020 upgrade model. all technical specs are the same as those offered by TP-Link Archer A6 discussed above, from AC1200 technology, 4x external antennas, Gigabit ports without USB port. So what’s the difference?
There is MU-MIMO feature @5Ghz band available on Archer A6, but it is not available on Wavlink AC1200 router. For those of you who have a wifi clients with MU-MIMO compatible will not be able to take advantage of this MI-MIMO feature.
The price is almost the same, under $50 in Amazon.
For the needs of a small home wifi network and the number of clients is not much then the Archer A6 or Wavlink AC1200 is appropriate, two models of cheap wireless router available in the market today. See also top 5 wireless AC1200 routers.
When you would like to taste the 6th generation of wifi technology (wifi 6 or wireless ax) you may start the ax1500 router. TP-link offers the low end of Archer AX10 wifi 6 ax1500 router in addition of high end wifi 6 router including Archer AX6000 and Archer AX11000 routers.
The price is around $60 in Amazon (Jan 2020), that might drops later by time.
3. Motorola MR2600
For wider bandwidth requirements when the AC1200 isn’t enough then you might consider AC2600 dual band router. And in this AC2600 network segment Motorola offers the Motorola MR2600 which is tagged around $ 100 and the rated is also good on Amazon.
What is the difference with the two AC1200 routers above? Of course, the total bandwidth technology offered by AC2600 is double that of AC1200 routers and even wider.
- Double bandwidth up to 2,600Mbps dual band than those AC1200 routers offered by Archer A6 or Wavlink AC1200
- Based on wave 2 4×4 MU-MIMO technology for connecting multiple wifi clients concurrently for fast communication
- Implicit and explicit Beamforming technology for targeted wifi clients and connect solidly even they are moving around
- 5x Gigabit Ethernet ports (4x LAN and 1x WAN) for high speed wired connection to modem and wired-clients
- 1x USB 3.0 port for shared DLNA media storage / printer
- Dual core processor and Smart QoS and very good support
- Couples of users were unlucky found the router drops the signal frequently
With a price of around $ 100 in the ac2600 class, the Motorola MR2600 is one of the cheap wireless routers of this class with good performance.
Try Mesh System
If your house consists of many rooms from the basement to the attic, and you use a lot of mobile devices that are always moving from one room to another, it is better if you consider a mesh wifi system that allows you to roam smoothly with a single network name within your house.
You can start with a mesh wifi router and you can add one or more mesh points if the need for wider network coverage increases. There are many models of mesh wifi systems in the market and you may start purchasing the cheap mesh wifi system with high rated customer reviews in Amazon, you can consider TP-link Deco M5 or Meshforce m1 or meshforce m3. See also top 10 mesh wifi systems.